Saturday, June 2, 2012

Declutter Challenge: Garage Sale!

So, we had our garage sale today. We took everything that we've been thinking about getting rid of, but didn't want to donate it or toss it (or we just hadn't gotten to it) and put it out front. We also started pulling stuff out of the garage, which we've been meaning to clean, and put it out for sale. I'm not even sure where some of the stuff came from!

Now, we didn't really make that much money on our garage sale, but we DID get rid of a lot of stuff. And really, that was what I wanted most. I really do let stuff go cheap at garage sales because I want to get rid of it. I don't want to pack it back up and put it back in that garage! We got rid of a lawn mower that didn't work (I was honest about it), an aquarium full of supplies, 2 boxes of books, several videos, some stuffed animals, and a few other odds and ends.

During the garage sale, we also worked on cleaning out the garage! We went through LOTS of boxes. Our recycle bin is completely full! We moved some books up to the office to sell on Amazon. Some went into a box bound for Goodwill or another garage sale, it depends on which comes first.  Others went into the recycle bin. We collected a few more boxes of stuff for sale or donation, but we haven't decided which yet. I consolidated to bins of clothes; some were seasonal, some I'm working my way back into (don't tell me I'm not supposed to keep those because I can't afford a new wardrobe once I lose weight), and a few were t-shirts that I'm saving for a quilt. There are still more boxes to go through, but I'm not up for some of them just yet because they belonged to my mom. Others, I just ran out of time.

Oh! And on Friday, I loaded up all of the paint that has been in the garage since we moved in because the landlord said they didn't see a reason to remove it and I took it to the hazardous waste place! It really was enough paint cans to fill the back of my car. How ridiculous!

So, that is my major decluttering! I'm only counting the garage sale as two weeks, but the paint counts for next week :) Pretty soon, I may actually be able to use my garage!

Share your decluttering stories! Please, please, please! Have you joined me yet or are you still just thinking about it? Remember, you can start small!