Friday, June 29, 2012

Berry Smoothie Recipe

As some of you may know, I have been working on changing my lifestyle to be healthier and more fit. If you want to know more, read about it here. One big change for us is eating more veggies. Eating plenty of fruit is not a challenge, but getting a healthy variety of veggies is.

So, when I read about green smoothies, I started experimenting. I loved the saltier versions with more veggies, but we also wanted to see about making some fruity yogurt smoothies too. We tried using water and it all separated and became quite gross to try and drink down. We then tried grape and apple juices, but it was hard to make it taste good with any veggies in it. It we left out the veggies and just used sweet fruit, it tasted fine. However, the point is to get more veggies!

Well, I was at the store the other day and I saw a bottle of V-8 Acai Berry Blend (or something close to that). I came up with an idea :) This idea actually turned out delicious.

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz Acai Berry Juice
  • 1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
  • 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
  • 5 strawberries
  • 1/2 cup frozen berry blend
  • 1/4 cup fresh cherries
  • dab of honey
Instructions:
  1. Throw everything into a blender and blend until smooth-ish.
  2. Pour into 2 glasses and enjoy!
This was so good, I think the key was getting a juice that complemented what went in to the mix. Plus, V-8 has veggies mixed into it, but the smoothie was awesome! The juice makes it higher in calories, but I think it makes it taste better and stay together better. With the yogurt, it has a little more protein, so you can use it to replace a snack or small meal. I haven't tried experimenting with any supplements, but if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

What are your favorite smoothie recipes?