Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Teaching

I know I said that I had an interview, but I don't think I ever said that I got the job. I'm very excited too. I have great classes and good kids. Even if they are freshmen :) We've had a few glitches, but things are going pretty smooth. Although, a few kids and parents freaked out at the idea of moving and they aren't in my class anymore. I guess some people just don't deal well with change. But, I decided to use what one of my new students said yesterday as today's blog.

No More Pity Parties!
FL!P:I MAKE MYSELF HAPPY

This young lady explained that she would get in trouble in my class because she is unhappy because none of her friends got switched with her. I responded by saying that "life is what you make of it and we should always try to make the best of our situation." I'm sure she didn't listen, but I tried. This is a very nice young lady in a small class with several interesting people. As far as I've seen, nobody is rude or condescending. She just doesn't know them.

So, she can continue to feel sorry for herself or she can see the opportunity to meet new friends and have new experiences. She can choose to make herself happy or she can not. It really is her choice. I know we all have those choices to make too. We can take a situation we may not be thrilled with and feel sorry for ourselves or we can flip our thinking and do what we need to be happy.

What do you think? Do you have any experiences that you'd like to share? If so, leave me a comment about how you've flipped your thinking.

Also visit www.flipyourthinking.com for more information and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment