Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Soap

I just made some pumpkin soap and it smells amazing! It really smells like fresh pumpkin pie. I'm not really a fan of pumpkin pie, its something about the texture, but I love the smell. I attempted to swirl it with three colors using the funnel method that I saw at Lomond Soap. Mine didn't work quite as well as I'd wanted, but for the first try it wasn't bad. I think next time I make sure they stay at a thinner trace, but I just didn't move fast enough.

I swirled with three colors, yellow, orange, and brown. I was going for a fall theme. I made a 3 lb batch and separated it into three portions. I used 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice to make brown, I started to add more and I'm glad I didn't, it did get darker as it cured. I added 2 tbsp of pumpkin puree to make the orange, it was very light, but it too darkened (be sure to take out some water to make up for this). I didn't do anything for the yellow, since soap tends to have a creamy light yellow color anyway. I scented it with orange, clove, and cinnamon essential oils.

I also decided to make this a goat's milk soap, which worked out well, I've only done milk soaps with hot-process. I am happy to say I didn't scald the milk. I used goat's milk powder and mixed it with half the water and put it in the freezer to make a slushie. I mixed the other half of the water with the lye and let it cool to about 80 deg. Then, I slowly drizzled the slushie milk into the lye mix. It worked out well, it did heat up a little, but the icy milk kept it low. The temp actually stayed around 80.

I used coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil, canola, and a little hemp. I've used the same recipe before and I really like the consistency of the soap. I let it cure and I cut it a few days ago. It was very moist and the paper bags are soaked. I'm not sure what happened, I cut back the water for the pumpkin and the milk. There also seems to be a little excess oil sweating out. It smells and looks wonderful, so I guess I'll wait and see what happens. I can say though, my work room smells so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment