Friday, August 14, 2009

National Creamsicle Day

According to the Bizarre American Holidays website today is National Creamsicle Day! I love creamsicles, there is just something about the orange popsicle with the delicious cream filling that is just wonderful. So, in honor of this holiday I decided to post a few creamsicle recipes I've found (plus a few I made up).

Creamsicle Bath:
Fill your bathtub with warm water. Add 6 drops of orange essential oil and 5 drops of vanilla essential oil (absolute or what you have). Stir well. Slip in and enjoy this delightful scent. This is great for kids too, but use less essential oil since you won't fill the tub.

Creamsicle Scrub:
For a single use sugar scrub you need 1/2 cup-1 cup of sugar (I like brown because it smells better) and 2-4 tbsp of sweet almond or olive oil. I like to use sweet almond because it doesn't smell as strong, but use what you have, regular vegetable (soybean) oil works great too. Mix together in a small bowl until the sugar is moist, but kind of clumpy and not runny (that's just messy). Add a dash of vanilla extract (cheaper than absolute) and 2 drops of orange essential oil.

Stand in shower and scoop handfuls and rub over body to lightly exfoliate, be sure to pay extra attention to rough spots. You can rinse off after, but I like to fill up the tub and soak. Do not wash oil off, but leave it to moisturize. Pat dry and follow with a moisturizer if you need it, but you probably won't.

Creamsicle Shampoo and Conditioner:
I buy unscented natural conditioners and then make my own scents. This way I can switch often and I don't get tired of it. I don't buy shampoos because I use my own bar shampoos to save on container waste, but not everyone does.

You will use about 10 drops of essential oil for 2 oz of shampoo or conditioner. I pour my conditioner into smaller 2 oz containers so I can change my scent often, but its up to you. Add 6 drops of orange essential oil and about 4 drops of vanilla eo or absolute (you can use a frangrance oil to save money, but it doesn't smell near as good). Shake well and enjoy!

So, you get the idea. Add a few drops of orange and a few of vanilla and you can smell like a creamsicle. Kids love the smell and so do plently of adults I know!

Warning: orange essential oil can make you more sensitive to sunlight, do not leave on skin before exposure to sunlight. Be sure to rinse well.

No comments:

Post a Comment