Monday, August 3, 2009

Dealing with the Unknown

I have been a teacher for 5 years. I love it! I teach high school science and its funny to watch people react when I say I teach high school. I've heard "how can you stand high school kids" more times than I could count. I don't know how I do it, but I know I do it well. I treat them like people and treat them like what's going on in their lives matters. I tried to teach elementary and it really didn't work out for me. I mean the kids are cute and they just love to be in school and learn cool science stuff, but teaching high school is for me.

I've been doing handmade toiletries for a little while as a hobby and thinking someday I might make a business out of it. This is another thing I love. What kind of oils and butters can I combine to do all sorts of fun stuff. I even do my own handmade soaps using lye. I started with melt and pour, which allows for more playing and some real artisticness (my own word), but the first time I really made a batch of soap I was hooked. They both allow for creativity, so its whichever you like and I like making the actual soap. Still, the idea of doing this full-time or for a living was kind of a distant plan.

Last March, I found out I was going to be one of 5 teachers not rehired due to budget cuts at the state level. I mean when you think about it, everyone assumes that teachers are safe from those kinds of cuts, especially science teachers. But, the state made a BIG boo boo and schools took part of that hit. I've looked for other jobs, but there just wasn't much available in my area. So, I made a decision to not go back to teaching. I decided that I could and should go ahead and get my business going. I decided I could substitute teach to earn a reliable income, but I would work on my business.

I've heard from plenty of people that this may not be the best time (you don't have to tell me that times are tough guys, I lost my job, remember), but I think this is the right time for me. Am I scared, of course I am. I'm giving up finding a teaching job with a known income and benefits to try and make a business of my own. I terrified! I didn't take any business classes in school, but I do know the basics and I have good support at home. I'm taking classes from the SBA and I'm reading lots and lots of books.

I may not make it. I know that. BUT, if I never try, I'll never know. Its the unknown that scares us all and there are plenty of things I don't know right now. However, I do know that I want to make this work, I want to be successful, and I want to continue to love my job. So, I decided not to get a job I won't enjoy, but to do what I love and make that work for me. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment