Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Declutter Challenge: Week 9

I know this one is late and it seems like I am a week behind. I'm really not, I promise.

This weekend I had my first out-of-city craft show in Aurora. It made for a really long day! I left here at 6 am to get there and start setting up by 7:30. The show was from 9-4. I was packed back up and ready to leave by 4:30, so I got home right at 6 pm. Whew! It made for a very long day, but it was worth it.


So, Sunday was my day for housework. I decided to get in the garage and start cleaning. I pulled out 4 boxes of old teaching stuff. I went through and cleaned out all of my old files and papers. I now have a stack of binders and sheet protectors, which is nice because I was planning on buying some soon. I also found several old textbooks that I was holding on to. I took the extra binders up to school to reorganize my files there. I put the papers in the recycle bin. I listed the textbooks for sale on Amazon.

BUT, I didn't stop there. I decided to go ahead and throw a few more things in the car for a quick trip to Goodwill (which I didn't get a picture of). I put in a cat food container, a box of aquarium stuff, a box of office stuff and knick knacks, my old roller blades, and a few blankets that I came across.

This is to distract you from the lack of a picture of my stuff to get rid of. I kept the kid.
I have to tell you, I am really getting into this decluttering thing. I have a list of things to list on craig's list because I could actually sell them, not just donate them. I also have a list of places to call to see if they take stuff. I'm going to call a homeless shelter to see if they want blankets because I have plenty. I'm going to see if I can find somewhere to take luggage bags (that won't mind the Marlboro logo on the side). I'm even considering going through my old stuffed animals and seeing if there is a children's charity that could use them.

When I started, I was very skeptical and I found it difficult to find one thing a week to get rid of. Not anymore! I am on a roll. My biggest problem is finding the time to go through everything; which is why I made lists.

So, have you started decluttering yet? Remember, the challenge is to find ONE thing each week that leaves the house. It can be big or small. It can go to the trash or be donated, but it has to leave the house (and not come back).