Thursday, June 3, 2010

Updating the Blog

Today I read a blog by Donna Maria of the Indie Business Blog. It is titled "10 Things That Make a Blog Stink," and if you are a blogger, you should check it out. Wow, that is really an attention getter!

First, I would like to point out that I changed the name! Instead of using my company name, I am now The Soap Nest! Cause turtles have nests, hahaha. Ok, I'm a nerd, but I just thought the name was the cutest.

I read her 10 tips to improve my blog and some of them I do, but sadly not as many as I'd hoped when first reading the title. So, my goal for today was to sit down and make some improvements. I think I did quite well. I have added a search tool, a link to the blogs that I like, some pictures of me, and an easy way to subscribe. I already had some variety, I like to other blogs, and I have made it personal, so there are 3 things I was doing right. Some other things I need to start doing is adding pictures and video and I need to get my readers involved! I was planning on a poll to come very soon, so I'll step that up and hopefully have it within the next week or so. (That's a picture of our foster mama, she finally sat still)

I also have my favorite graphic designer playing around with my blog. So, I have a new background, my fonts are not different colors, and the template with all those little arrows should be gone soon!

What do you think? Do you like the new name? Is there anything I'm missing in my sidebar or did I overdo it?