Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Unprofessional?

This past weekend I participated in a Toy Drive Fundraiser to benefit Christmas Unlimited and I had a great time. I met some awesome ladies and I had a good time promoting my product. I was also located across the aisle diagonally to the Lemongrass Spa lady. This did not bother me at all, we both have different products. The products are similar, but there are different scents and I could really go on, but I won't.

I had a lady stop at my table to smell my soaps (which are sooo good) and she asked what the difference between my products and the Lemongrass products is. My response was this: "My products are handcrafted by me, which gives me the freedom to make what I want, when I want. I also get to experiment and if I come up with a great idea, I can start selling it right away; where a larger company like Lemongrass would take more time getting it produced and out to the public. Other than that, our products are similar, we have a similar idea, and a similar committment to give our customers great products. We do offer different scents and different choices in products, so between the two of us, you are sure to find what you want."

The woman looked a little taken aback at my answer. I don't know if she was expecting me to bash Lemongrass or what, but I'm sure that my response was not what was expected. I think I handled the question well and honestly. I can truly say that Lemongrass produces some wonderful products and while I'll admit I'm biased and think my stuff is better; I did not mind being near the other woman at the show. I think it was great that we were both able to have a variety of products there and that variety helped to serve a greater number of people.

Has anyone else ever been put in a situation like that? I mean, was the woman honestly looking for an answer or was trying to see if I would behave unprofessionally? Maybe I just haven't been doing enough shows and that question is quite common, I just don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment