Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My First Milk and Honey Soap

I decided that I would like to make a milk and honey soap and I wanted to experiment with using less coconut and palm oils. So, I created my recipe and set to work. Everything was going perfectly until I poured my lye solution and little undissolved lye crystals went into the mix. AHHHHH! I didn't know what to do, but decided to continue. I stirred until trace and poured into the mold. It worked out beautifully, no overheating, no burning the milk, just so perfect, except...

Of course the next morning, there were spots of lye! So, I decided to rebatch it. Why not? If it doesn't work out I can trash it, but I'm not one to give up easily. So, I shredded up my otherwise perfect soap and put it in my crock pot on low. I added just a little more milk because I had discounted my liquid anyway and I wanted to make sure all the lye dissolved. After 2 hours of heating, my soap was completely melted and no signs of lye crystals. In fact, it looked downright beautiful. I scented it with rosemary and peppermint essential oils and poured it into a mold.

I didn't have time to check it this morning before work, so I don't know how it looks. Right now all I can do is cross my fingers and hope. I will say that my attempt at rebatching seemed to go smoothly, so I'm a little concerned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment