Thursday, July 9, 2009

National Sugar Cookie Day

I think its absolutely perfect that today is National Sugar Cookie Day. I've been thinking of making sugar cookies for our upcoming Christmas in July Show. So, I think I'll share my favorite sugar cookie recipe. Some are just too sweet for me, so I love these cookies! I got the recipe from my mom's very old Better Homes and Gardens' Cook Book.

  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 4 tsp milk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla. Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy ( I really like the phrase light and fluffy:) Stir in the milk. Mix dry ingredients and then blend into the creamy mixture. Divide the dough in half. Cover and chill for an hour.

Lightly flour the surface and roll out half the dough into about 1/8 in thickness. (Keep the other half chilled until ready to use) Cut the dough into shapes and bake at 375 for 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool before eating.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment