Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pineapple Mask

I went to the store today and pineapples were on sale! They were super cheap, so I bought several. I've been using pineapples in my green smoothies, so I needed to get some more anyway. When I got home, I realized that I really have quite a bit of pineapple, so I started thinking about other uses. Of course, my first thought was...put it on your face :)

Pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain. Enzymes are proteins that speed up certain reactions; in this case, bromelain speeds up the digestion of proteins. Bromelain is useful in skin care because it will help digest pore-clogging surface cells and leave behind fresh, glowing skin. Pineapple is good for all skin types except sensitive skin or skin that is already damaged or irritated.

Ingredients for your mask:
  • Fresh pineapple (you won't need much!)
  • Yogurt (any type of milk can be used, but I like the thickness of yogurt)
  • Kaolin clay (may substitute fine ground oatmeal)
Directions:
  • Mash up your pineapple. Mix with yogurt.
  • Separate pineapple and yogurt mixture into two containers. Add 1/2 tsp of clay to one.
  • Apply mixture with clay to face in a gentle, upward motion. Avoid eye area!
  • Let sit for 10 minutes. Some tingling is normal, but wash immediately if case of irritation. Eat the other half of the mixture while you wait :)
  • Rinse face with warm water and follow with normal toner and moisturizer.
Variations:
  • Add fresh kiwi for a vitamin rich mixture that offers gentle exfoliation.
  • Cocoa powder is rich in antioxidants and offers a gentle scrub.
 Please keep in mind that not all ideas are safe for all skin types.

What is your favorite summer time fruit? Have you tried it as a mask?