Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Zucchini Spinach Cornbread

The other night I realized that we didn't really have anything for dinner, so I had to get a little creative. The plan had been to make spaghetti (with shredded chicken instead of beef) with garlic bread. However, we were out of chicken and bread. We had spaghetti stuff, so I did stick with that. But, we needed more than noodles for dinner.

When I was digging through the fridge I found some zucchini that I had forgotten about and some spinach from that salads we'd been eating. I thought about it and decided to try baking it into cornbread. I looked online and I didn't find anything that included spinach, but several that used shredded zucchini. I also found one that lined the bottom of the pan with zucchini slices.

So, I shredded up some zucchini, which is not really all that easy, and chopped up some spinach. I made the cornbread according to the directions on the container. Since I live in CO, I use self-rising flour and I've noticed that it is fluffier than regular flour. I added about 1/3 cup of shredded zucchini and 1/2 cup chopped spinach to the batter. I lined my pan with zucchini slices and poured the batter over it and then baked as usual.

To be honest, I'm not a squash person. I've really never cared for most of them. I like the spaghetti squash and butternut squash the best. I really don't like yellow squash and zucchini is about a step above that. But, I'm trying to be more open because I want Hayden to eat well and be exposed to lots of foods. I was truly nervous about the cornbread.

It was actually delicious! I didn't like the slices on the bottom, but I choked them down like a trooper. Otherwise, it was good. The zucchini and spinach flavor were not overpowering, but it was noticeable. It even reheated well, which is good because I can't waste food! I was pretty impressed with myself, dinner was a hit with everyone and I felt good about adding a little green to the meal.

Do you have a favorite recipe that incorporates a food you try to avoid otherwise?