Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

I love pumpkin! I have said that many times. This summer I found a bread machine cookbook and it had a recipe for pumpkin bread! Of course, I couldn't resist. I had to make some adjustments because my first loaf was too fluffy and it made a big mess, though it still tasted delicious.

Here is the recipe I adjusted:
Dry Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp yeast
  • 1 1/2 cup bread flour
  • 1/2 cup wheat flour
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (you can do 1/2 cinnamon and 1/2 ginger, but I like nutmeg too)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp grated orange rind
Wet Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
After starting, I keep an eye on the kneading period. I'm still playing around trying to make sure it isn't too dry, but I've noticed that it starts more moist than most bread doughs. I have tried reducing the amount of water and either way, it still comes out tasting amazing!

What is your favorite pumpkin recipe?