Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Lesson of the Day: Get a Babysitter!

I remember when I first found out I was pregnant, I thought about being a stay at home mom and running my business at the same time. Financially, that didn't work out. However, it would not have worked out anyway. I have found out that of his schedule or any rhythm we may have, I could not run a full-time business and watch him at the same time. I could probably run a part-time, craft show only business, but nothing more. I can't even get the kitchen cleaned before he is into something or wanting my attention.

Hayden has been sick, so I've stayed home with him. I have piles of papers to grade and a long list of stuff to make for the rest of my shows. But, it doesn't get done when I stay home. He does take a really good nap, once a day. So, I get about 2 to 2 1/2 hours of solid, uninterrupted work time. Which, would be good for a small project, but not full-time work. I barely made it through one class' journals before he woke up today. I had to wait until bedtime before I could start on the rest of my work.

Here is a (very) short list of things that I do myself to run my business:
  1. Make every product I offer.
  2. Order supplies and track inventory.
  3. Balance accounts, make deposits, and pay my sales tax.
  4. Package and ship orders.
  5. Clean.
  6. Invoices.
  7. Packaging.
  8. Marketing.
  9. Photography.
  10. Customer service.
  11. I'm done listing, but it goes on.
I can't get all that done and take care of my child at the same time. One of those must be neglected. Right now, my business is small enough that I can handle all of that (sort of ) in the limited amount of time that I have. However, when the time comes (hopefully) for me to quit my job and make my business my full-time job; I will not be able to do both. I will have to have someone else to watch him during the work day. That really is a simple fact. Of course, if he is in school by the time I'm ready, that is another story.

On a side note, I know how lucky I am to have an employer that offers low-cost daycare. I hope that someday, if I have employees, I can pay that forward.

What do you think? How do you balance your job and your family?