Sunday, July 29, 2012

DIY Carrot Mask

Carrots are delicious and great for you! They are high in beta-carotene (vitamin A), they also contain vitamin C and potassium. When I was younger, my doctor always told me to eat lots of carrots because they were good for my eyes. He actually meant eye health, not eyesight; I was not happy with my doctor when I had to start wearing glasses. I still ate my carrots though.

Consuming carrots or fresh carrot juice is good for your skin. It helps to keep your skin moisturized really deep down, which keeps your outer skin looking fresher and fuller. Using carrots on your face is good for your skin too. Vitamin A is a great antioxidant, which means it destroys those pesky free radicals that cause wrinkles (and crinkles), eczema (some forms), and dermatitis. It also helps to heal sun damage and even skin tone. Carrot juice is also good for blemishes and scars! The list goes on, but I really wanted to share a fun mask with you, not all the benefits of carrots.
Photo by: John Loo

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp pureed carrots-you can lightly steam and puree your own or use a jar of baby food (carrots and water only!)
  • 1 tbsp yogurt 
  • Optional ingredients: 1/2 tbsp finely ground oatmeal or kaolin clay
Directions:
  1. Mix all your ingredients together. You can adjust the amounts to achieve a consistency that you like. If you are omitting the oatmeal/clay the mask will be a little runny.
  2. Spread evenly over clean skin. Let sit for 15-20 minutes.
  3. Rinse well with warm water. You can wash again or just rinse really well. Follow with your favorite toner and moisturizer. 
This mask can easily be repeated 1-2 times per week. If you have dry skin, you can also add a drop or two of olive oil and your skin will love you. You can use carrot juice in this recipe, but you would need to increase the amount of clay.

Don't not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!