Monday, July 23, 2012

Declutter Challenge: Week 28

My poor dog is getting old. She is a border collie mix that is 9 1/2 years old! Her eyes are getting cloudy and her anxiety is getting worse. She has had several accidents on her bed in response to storms, screaming baby, and even because it was time for her to go in her kennel. The poor bed smells terrible. We have washed it, hosed it down, and even tried deodorizer. Nothing has worked. Plus, she never really uses the bed because she prefers to sleep in the hall outside our bedrooms. So, I got rid of the bed! It felt bad throwing it away because it was still in good shape, but the smell was bad, she didn't use it, and the toddler liked jumping on it. So, in the trash it went!

I could have stopped there because that would be my one item for the week, but it gave me another idea! I realized that we have a lot of pillows that we no longer use. We recently bought some new pillows, but didn't throw the old ones out...I know, that was just silly. We have two that are in the camping equipment, so they are always there to go with us. We also have two that we keep for guests that occasionally stay with us. However, we still have a couple of other pillows that hang around the closets and other random places. So, I also walked around and picked up them up and sent them with the dog bed.

I also got an email this morning from Amazon letting me know that another of my books had sold! It took me a while to decide to go ahead and list the books that I have that are more expensive. It took about 2 hours to get them all listed, but it has been worth it. I don't have to do much and the books sell. I can even pay for shipping and print labels online, so I'm not spending a lot of time in line and the post office. I do have to go on and check that they are still active, but it has been pretty easy. So far, I've sold 4 books and that has added up to about $100!

See, three super easy steps and I am getting a lot of things out of my house. The best part is, it hasn't taken me much time. It has been something I can do without taking time away from Hayden or myself.