Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Soap Swirls

My soapy swirls just never do come out the way I hope. I've read tutorials and I've tried different methods, but it is usually pretty hit or miss. I've gotten a beautiful swirl pattern once. Once! In all the times I have tried swirling, I've been truly happy with the results once.

I've had soap that got way to thick and I was left with really horrible looking layers. Once, half of my soap was too thin and all the colored soap sank to the bottom (that has probably happened more than once actually). I have color that didn't turn out right, so the soap had some pretty good brown specks in a swirl-like pattern. I've also over-swirled and my colors mixed a little too much. What does all of this tell me...that I need to practice.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of pure, uncolored, no frills soap. I love the creamy, light yellow bars that you get when you make soap. However, I also love colors and I love to have fun with those colors. I have used cocoa powder, cinnamon, mica, and rose clay to get lovely colors, but the swirls don't look right. So, here is what I will be doing. I will research different swirl methods, one at a time, from several different sources and put together some notes. Then, I will take that information and practice until I get swirls that I really like.

There are so many techniques you can use and you can use one color or multiple colors and it just goes on. I'm really excited to start this and I hope that other people are too. It will be a journey through swirling, but all the information (plus my lessons and mistakes) will be in one place and not all over the web.

If you have tips or information you'd like to share too, I would love to hear from you!