Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

Two of my little cousins are up visiting their grandma from TX and on Thursday they came down to Colorado Springs to go to the zoo. I was so excited to go with them. We had a great day, but I have to say those kids from the flats of TX just couldn't understand why the zoo was on the side of a mountain! They really were fun to have around and they ended up having lots of fun.

One of the most exciting things I saw that day were the Mexican gray wolves, which I have NEVER seen. However, they were very active that day, running all around their enclosure. It was great to see them, finally. If you didn't know, the scientific name is Canis lupus baileyi (which my cousin Bailey thought was great). Unfortunately, the primate house wasn't open, which means we didn't get to see the Naked Mole Rats either :( It was too bad because their are signs EVERYWHERE and the kids (plus me) were really looking forward to the exhibit.

So, overall, a very busy and educational day. Of course, we all know that kids have one thing they will get stuck on. What was it on Thursday? Chipmunks. They got to see grizzly bears, tigers, elephants, and hippos, but it was the chipmunks they got REALLY excited about.