Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Perfect Degreaser

The other day I cooked chicken fried steak. No, I don't want to hear any comments about how unhealthy it is. I know this, but I haven't had it in a LONG time and I wanted it. Plus, I used canola oil and not crisco, so at least I saved on the saturated fats.

If you've ever fried anything, you know that you get oil EVERYWHERE and it does not like to go away quietly. There are some very effective commercial cleaners that quickly remove all the grease (and some of my skin), but I've gotten rid of most of my cleaners. My current cleaner of choice is vinegar and water with a little orange essential oil. It works well on pretty much anything your kitchen can throw at you, but I wasn't happy with my stove or backsplash.

SO, I mixed baking soda, salt, and lemon juice! Together these make an excellent degreaser and a good scrub if your sink needs it. I wore gloves because lemon juice stings and I really didn't want to exfoliate at the time. I used a rag to clean up all the grease and then I gave my sink a good scrubbing! You do need to rinse well, but my normal vinegar cleaner helped get up all the residue. My kitchen is extra clean and it smells great!

What is your favorite "green" cleaner?