Monday, April 18, 2011

Avoid Loose Strings

I don't remember where I found the idea, but I read about a great idea to save the cut edges on fabric.

You are supposed to wash material before you sew it so it doesn't shrink after you've made the finished project. BUT, you always end up with lots of strings and you have to trim them all off. I follow several sewing and other project blogs and on one of them suggested sewing the ends up with a serger to prevent them from unraveling and tangling.

Well, I don't have a serger, but I have a handy-dandy sewing machine. So, I ran a quick stitch along each edge and then threw it in the wash.
Before washing.

I did have to trim a few loose strings, but not nearly as many as I usually have to. I'm so excited that I found a trick to save me that headache! I'll show you what I made soon!
After washing.

Do you have any handy-dandy little tricks that make something you enjoy a little easier?