Thursday, November 4, 2010

Lavender Essential Oil

Oh, how I love lavender eo. I love all the varieties (though some more than others), it is so calming that I just can't get enough. When I found out I was losing my job last May, I used it as a stress reliever all the time. I was swimming in lavender lotion, lavender soap, and I even made myself a lavender oil for my temples. I keep a little dropper bottle full in the bathroom cabinet, just in case.


Just in case what, you may ask? Just in case I need it for any of it thousands (slight exaggeration) of uses. Lavender, unlike most essential oils, can be used undiluted on adult skin. I add a few drops to all of my facial moisturizers and toners. I also use a drop directly on my skin if my eczema flares up. It really helps prevent the itching and my skin heals faster. I've used it on bug bites and bee stings. I put it in my deodorant. If I have a small cut, I put a drop on to promote healing and prevent infections. Lavender can also be used on babies (though highly diluted) and I made my newborn a lotion with a little lavender in it. He loves getting his lotion time after his bath and he is so calm after, he is completely ready to fall asleep.

Of course, this is all from my personal experience. However, if you look up uses for lavender essential oil or its properties you will find that it is considered nalgesic, anticonvulsant, anti-depressant, antimicrobial, antirheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antitoxic, carminative, cholagogue, choleretic, cicatrizant, cordial, cytophylactic, diuretic, emmenagogue, deodorant, hypotensive, insecticide, nervine, parasticide, rubefacient, sedative, stimulant, sudorific, tonic, vermifuge, and as a vulnerary. Which is quite a long list!

It also blends well with many other essential oils and adds a wonderful herbal scent to any blend. My favorite blend is vanilla and lavender!


What is your favorite lavender blend? What do you use lavender for in your house?