Monday, June 10, 2013

4 Bananas Lead To...

Has this ever happened to you? You buy some bananas, but you also buy lots of other fruit that your little one doesn't normally get. So, the bananas don't get eaten, but all the other fruit does. All the berries you can't normally get. The cherries. The kiwis. But not the bananas. They just sit there getting browner and then the little guy looks at them and says "I no want the yucky bananas." I'm sure that has never happened to you :)

Well, I just can't throw away food. It makes me ill to do it. So, I decided that I would do something useful with my 4 yucky bananas. I mashed them up, mixed in a few ingredients and I got two delightful mixtures.

Can you guess what I did with them?
Well, if you guessed that I made banana bread with one, you would be correct. With the other, I made a face masque! Bananas are actually good for you face, as is most other fruit. Now, which batch of goop is which?

The one on the left is the goop for banana bread-3 bananas and a little milk and cinnamon. The one on the right is the face goop-1 banana and a little milk and cinnamon; plus some finely ground oatmeal, honey, and a touch of olive oil (did I mention I have dry, sensitive skin?). The mixture is a little runnier, but you only want a thin layer anyway. Some people are sensitive to cinnamon, so it is okay to leave it out. Apply to clean, dry skin and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. If you feel tingling or itching, rinse immediately.

Wash your face with a mild cleanser and warm water. Follow up with your favorite toner or rinse and moisturizer. My current toner is some chamomile tea with a touch of witch hazel; I keep it in the fridge for a cool treat :)

As you can see, I could probably have mashed my bananas better, but it wasn't a problem. It is hard to see because the color is light, but there really is a noticeable layer on my face. I left mine on for about 12 minutes and it was starting to dry, so it was time to rinse. My face felt amazing. Then, Hayden and I shared some banana bread!

I don't think I did too bad for being desperate to use up my "yucky bananas."