Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year-New Goals

Well, it is a new year. There were a lot of changes in my life this past year. I'm sure you've noticed that I haven't been around a lot. Most of that has to do with work, but other more recent changes have really changed my schedule.

About a month ago, I asked my partner or almost 6 years to move out. It was a very hard decision for both of us, but in the long run, I think it is for the best. Hayden is adjusting well and we both still care for him, that won't change. Sharing custody of our new girl in April will be harder, but I think we will be able to make it work.

Between adjusting to life as a single mom and trying to keep up with the work load at school, it has been a little tough for me to keep up and get everything I need done. I have kept up with my orders and shows; I even managed to finish up some of the things I needed to do on my website, but a lot of the computer things have fallen behind.

In light of the fact that I have less time to get stuff done and I have more to do on my own and I will soon have a newborn to care for, my goals for this year will be relatively simple.

Business Goal: Keep up with the current level of business that I am currently doing. This will include the few wholesale customers I have, but I'm not going to focus on adding any. Doing all of the shows and markets I currently do, but not really trying to add more. You get the idea. While I would love to grow my business and expand, at this point, I have to be honest about the fact that I'm struggling to keep up with the amount of work I have to do. I desperately want to keep my business because my goal to eventually be able to quit my day job hasn't changed, but the time scale will have to be adjusted a little. The great thing about goals though...they can be changed. So, maybe things will be easier than I expect and I'll have time to do everything I need to do and grow my business.

Personal Goal: Focus on giving my family what they need and take care of my own needs. I think that is probably a little too broad, but really this means a lot of things that I don't want to leave out. I want to get Hayden involved in group activities such as swim classes and soccer. I am still hoping to buy a house despite the looming medical bills I will have. I actually have a long list of things I am planning to get done, but I don't see any reason for you to have to read the whole thing.

Another big goal: Keep up with my blogging, I actually enjoy it and the interactions I get from it.

I hope you can forgive my recent absence and be patient as I try to get my life back in the order.