Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Not Too Bad

My Chocolate Pumpkin Soap is cured and ready to go.You can read about my lessons when I made it and see pictures of it fresh out of the mold here. It hardened quite nicely despite the early "sponginess." I do think I added a little too much TDO to the top layer because it had a slight cracked appearance and the lather was a little slimy on the side. However, the soap smells divine, has a nice overall lather, and leaves my skin nice and soft despite the cold weather.




As you can see, there is a nice contrast between the layers. I love the warm chocolate color of the bottom layer. You can kind of see what I mean about a cracked appearance on the top layer, but it doesn't affect the texture of the soap itself.

One thing I did notice is that the lather is a little brown (doesn't stain the skin) and when you rinse it honestly looks like when you shower after a weekend of camping. I know it is from the cocoa powder layer in between the layers. Does anyone know if that's normal? It doesn't change the fact that it is a wonderful bar of soap, but I'm a little curious.

Do you have any tips on using titanium dioxide or making a powder layer in between two layers?